Tuesday, March 31, 2009

7 Minutes in Heaven with Conquest

Conquest's latest album, Outspoken, hits streets today. Though generally falling under the category of Christian hip-hop emcee, Conquest has always been appreciative of various musical genres. With Outspoken he stands with one firm firmly in the hip-hop world but places the other now in the world of rock.

Whether you know him as 'Quest, The Torchbearer, Dreadlock Slimmm, or his given name, Jason Roberts, he is one of the most well-known names in the underground Christian music movement. Originally from Arima, Trinidad and Tobago, Conquest established himself as an artist in Brooklyn before moving to Manassas, Virginia. He'll be back in New York, at least temporarily, during his album tour. Check out his MySpace page for full details and to listen to his music.

Conquest, whom I've known since our days at Xpression Cafe, filled Asphalt Eden in on one of his favorite places in New York among other things.

[album image]

Asphalt Eden: What inspires you?
Conquest: A lot of great musicians, writers and classic albums past or present inspire me ... but right now I would say that artists like Brother Ali, Jay-Z, Lupe Fiasco, Mastodon, Ne-yo, Marvin Gaye, Eminem, and Lecrae are among my biggest inspirations.

Asphalt Eden: Who would you want to be stranded on a deserted island with?
Conquest: Well as I write this ... there are two people I really miss the most right now... So I would say my girlfriend and my daughter.

Asphalt Eden: If you had to have a portrait of yourself made, what artist would commission?
Conquest: Hmmm... honestly, I would have to say my former girlfriend Alicia... I think she is an amazing sketch artist.

Asphalt Eden: What is your favorite time of day?
Conquest: Anytime I feel closest to God at any given moment ... it is an amazing feeling.

Asphalt Eden: Where in New York is the closest place to your own personal Garden of Eden?
Conquest: Well I'm not in NYC anymore ... but I will say one my favorite spots out there is this park in DUMBO right next to the water.

Asphalt Eden: What's on repeat on your iPod?
Conquest: If I had one ... it would probably be the music I'm writing to for the album

Asphalt Eden: If you could ask God one question, what would it be?
Conquest: Too many to ask ... but one of them would definitely be "How did you feel to see your son on the cross?"

No comments: