Friday, January 9, 2009

Let Your Yes Mean Yes and Your No Mean "$ike!"

It looks like soon-to-be former Atlanta Braves starting pitcher, Chuck Norris look-alike [Compare: Smoltz / Norris], and man of faith John Smoltz is finally calling it quits after 20 years with the team, MLB.com's Ian Browne reports. Smoltz, who is the only person in baseball history to record 150 saves and 300 wins , will receive a one-year $5.5 million contract with the Boston Red Sox laden with performance-related incentives that could total $10 million. Smoltz, recovering from shoulder surgery, is due back June 1st, missing 2 months of the 2009 season.

I say 'huzzah!' to Smoltz as it's a win-win situation for both Mets and Yankees fans. The Mets get to see Atlanta's starting rotation become even more putrid than it is, as Smoltz is one of the last remnants of the Braves triumvirate of pitchers (Smoltz, Glavine, Maddux) that KILLED us year-in and year-out (It's sad to see how Mets fans as myself are scared of a 40-something year old pitcher with one healthy arm). The Yankees see the Red Sox spend big money on a 4-month rent-a-pitcher. Every one's happy. I was reminded of the many times Smoltz said "I want to retire a Brave" or "I want to end my career in Atlanta" and the verse
James 5:12 popped in my head. How many times do we see an athlete's yes mean yes? Consider the Evidence:

Exhibit A: "I thought it was flax seed oil."
Exhibit B: "
I always wanted to be a .... " [Enter team of choice here - usually 'the Yankees']
Exhibit C:
"It's not about the money" ( ! - No doubt the office of Scott Boras )

I don't, nor should we, expect someone to always remember what they say or don't say. But because he's a Brave.... or was, he gets special treatment for just one day. Contributor's Note: Yes, I'm a Mets fan, and yes I am well aware of how much they stink. So now that we're past that, good luck in Bahstin, Smoltzie..... meh.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

great post! i will now use my newfound knowledge to impress chuck norris fans and baseball aficianados. huzzah!

Stephanie Nikolopoulos said...

Hey, isn't Chuck Norris a Christian too?

Anonymous said...

Chuck and Norris and God had a staring contest. When Chuck blinked, God created the universe and Chuck said, "all in all, I would've preferred Scotch"

Anonymous said...

$$$$$$$$$$$